The Holy Grail of all Work Outs
If given the choice to only do the same workout for the rest of my life I would without hesitation choose the kettlebell swings as that workout.
Why Kb swings are awesome
- Full body workout
- Kb swings work your core, back, shoulders, hamstring, quads, glutes, forearms and chest
- Burn a bunch of calories
- The American Council on Exercise (ACE), researchers found that the average kettlebell workout burns 20 calories a minute. This means that a 20 minute workout could easily burn 400 calories.
- They are great for developing power and athleticism.
- Grab a kb that is around 55 to 65% of your one rep max (ie 55 to 65 lbs if you can do one swing with a 100 lbs kb ). Move that shit as fast as you can (while keeping control) for about 6 sets of 4 reps.
- Anaerobic capacity
- Kb swings used in high intensity workouts such as Hiit AND TABATA will increase your anaerobic (without oxygen) capacity. Think sprints. Doing this kind of training will allow you to:
- Go all out for a specific distance.
- Keep that high intensity for a longer period of time.
- Perform at the same or even higher intensity over a longer distance.
- Aerobic capacity
- Aerobic capacity is the ability of your body to transport and use the oxygen you breathe.
- If you ever have felt out of breath after just 3 or 4 minutes of jogging then you definitely need to increase your aerobic capacity.
- Grab a light Kb and perform swings for 15 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of rest. For a total of 20 minutes. Your heart and lungs will curse the day you were born.
Mistakes performed during Kb swings
- You round your back. Doing this can seriously mess your back up. Keep your chest up and proud!
- You perform a squat when doing the swing. You are supposed to hinge at the hip as if you were doing a deadlift. So butt back, not down.
- Not using the hips to generate the power. A lot of people use their arms too much to perform the swing. Your arms are only used to guide and control the kettlebell.
- Ignoring your core. Keep your core tight throughout the whole exercise. This prevents the swing to end up looking like shit.
This video explains it perfectly
Swings are a serious way to pack on muscle, increase your strength and burn a shit ton of calories. They are an awesome way to get your workout on and kick some ass in the least amount of time possible.