The Magic of H2O
We’ve all heard it.
“Water is good for you! You need to drink more water. You’re probably just dehydrated. ”
Between Tv, health magazines, doctors, family and my water obsessed boy friend; I hear that all the time. What’s the big deal?! Let me enjoy my extra sugary pink drink!
Wanting to make a huge change in my dieting habits I knew my water intake was going to have to increase dramatically and my pink drink has got to go.
In order to motivate myself to drink more than my usual 1 or less cup a day, I did some research on the benefits of drinking water. Below are some cool things that I found.
5 Benefits of Drinking Water
- Prevents Cramps and Sprains– This piece of information I really related with. During exercise I almost always get some sort of cramp. This would frustrate me because I am always sure that I stretch and warm up before a workout. According to mindbodygreen.com, drinking more water keeps joints lubricated and muscles more elastic so pain is less likely. I’m saying, “YES!” to know more cramps!
- Maintains Regularity– keeping your body hydrated can aid in digestion. This is because water is essential to digest your food and also prevents constipation.
- Helps Maximize Physical Performance – Did you know that if your body loses just 2% of body water, dehydration can be noticeable. This is especially true during intense exercises and if you will be exposed to extreme heat. (like yucky Florida weather) Being dehydrated can also reduce motivation and increase fatigue.
- Weight Loss– I am positive that every diet out there raves about drinking plenty of water. One of the many reasons for this is because water can reduce satiety and can boost your metabolic rate. In one study dieters who drank half of liter of water before meals lost 44% more weight over a 12 week period.
- Makes you Happier – mild dehydration has been shown to negatively impact moods.
Its free! Many places offer water options for free and you can always filter sink water or refill a water bottle. So save yourself some coin and skip the pop and the extra grande fancy pretty drink.